About UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital
Recognized for innovative treatments, advanced technology, collaboration among clinicians and scientists, and a highly compassionate team of patient care providers, UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital are part of one of the world’s leading health sciences institutions. Our nationally preeminent programs include children’s health, neurology and neurosurgery, organ transplantation, women’s health and cancer treatment.
UCSF Medical Center:
- Among America’s best hospitals: U.S. News and World Report: UCSF Medical Center is consistently ranked among the best hospitals in the United States.
- First in cancer care: The UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center is the first Bay Area cancer center designated as comprehensive by the National Cancer Institute.
- Brain tumor expertise: Home to one of the largest brain tumor centers in the nation, doctors operate on nearly 1,000 brain tumors in adults and children each year.
- Musculoskeletal experts: The 42,000-square-foot UCSF Orthopaedic Institute offers outpatient services and surgery.
- Premier Women’s Health center: UCSF is home to Northern California’s only nationally designated Center of Excellence in Women’s Health.
UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals
- First in fetal surgery: UCSF physicians performed the first successful surgery on a baby in the womb and are leaders in the field of fetal diagnosis and treatment.
- Critical care for newborns: The Neonatal Intensive Care Nursery (ICN) was one of the first of its kind in the world.
- Hope for brain-injured infants: The nation’s first Neurointensive Care Nursery offers specialized treatment for infants who show indications of brain damage at birth.
- Breakthrough treatments: UCSF researchers developed the first treatment to save lives of premature infants whose lungs aren’t fully developed, reducing infant mortality in the developed world by 50% within two years of its introduction.
- Leaders in bone marrow transplantation: Among the largest transplant centers for children in North America, our program is internationally recognized for its expertise in treating children with high-risk neuroblastoma.